Spring is soaring through Sydney and filling our days and hearts with sunshine. As the days get longer and warmer it is worth considering how to help your dog keep happy and healthy. Here are our top five tips:
- Book an appointment with the dog groomer early. Schedules will fill quickly as will the vacuum cleaner unless your faithful companion makes a quick trip to the hairdresser. An early trip to the dog groomer will keep them cool and the shedding under control. Also keep up the dog brushing in between grooming appointments. This will allow more bonding time between you and your hound and also minimise hair clean-ups.
- Make sure you have a large water bowl which is topped up with fresh water everyday. We’ve noticed our dogs are already drinking much more than usual as they try to deal with the unexpected heat.
- Take advantage of the longer days and get your dog walks in (and steps up) before the day gets too hot. Daylight saving also starts on the weekend (Sunday, Oct 1) which is the perfect excuse to enjoy the sunset with your pup.
- Spring also means more ticks and fleas. Ensure your flea and tick treatments are up to date and key an eye out for signs of infestation. There are three types of ticks in Australia: Bush, Brown and Paralysis Ticks. The single most dangerous parasite for dogs is the Paralysis Tick. If you find a tick, remove it immediately and take your dog to the vet as soon as possible.
- Now is a good time to spring clean your dog bedding, toys, collars and leashes. A good clean up will make them more comfortable and minimise odours that can emerge with the warmer weather.